10 June, 2015

It’s tax time! Can I claim my educational expenses?

Tax time!

It’s June and it’s almost tax time which may have you asking “Can I claim my self-education expenses?”

According to the Australian Tax Office (ATO) “you may be able to claim a deduction for self-education expenses if your study is work-related. Work-related self-education expenses are expenses you incur when you undertake a course to obtain a formal qualification from a school, college, university or other place of education that is relevant for your current employment.”

To be eligible to claim, your education must relate directly to your current field of work. If you already work in the fitness industry as a Gym Instructor or Personal Trainer and are upskilling to the Certificate IV in Fitness or Diploma of Fitness to further your current career then you may be eligible to claim.

If your study does relate directly to your current field of work then it’s worth having a chat to your accountant or the tax office to find out more as you could save thousands. These are just some of the allowable expenses:

  • Textbooks
  • Tuition fees
  • Internet Bills
  • Home study room expenses

If, like many students, you are studying the Certificate III in Fitness with the plan to start your career in fitness then you are not able to claim expenses as it doesn’t relate directly to your current field of work.

To find out more about claiming your study and eligibility visit the Australian Tax Office website.

  • Archives

  • Categories

  • Are you interested in becoming a Personal Trainer?

    If you're passionate about health and fitness, why not turn that passion into a career as a Personal Trainer?

    Study with The Australian Fitness Academy to earn your Certificate III & IV in Fitness and take the first step towards your new career. We have 26 years' expereince training tomorrow's fitness leaders.

    Australian Fitness Academy 1300 232 348 [email protected]
    701 Glenhuntly Road
    Caulfield Victoria
    3162 Australia