Our course resources are designed specifically for online study. They are engaging and interactive and can be accessed from computers, laptops and mobile devices. We even have podcasts of all the topics so that you can listen on your way to work, or when you’re in the gym.
You will receive full support throughout the course and can contact our support team at any time, via phone, email or via the learning portal. Our support team are fully qualified fitness and education professionals, available to help you throughout your course.
As the leading online fitness education provider in Australia, we have helped thousands of graduates to begin their careers in the fitness industry.
An online personal training course is perfect for you if you:
- Work full time or irregular hours.
- Want the flexibility to learn at your own pace without set times.
- Cannot attend a classroom to learn face-to-face.
- Are looking after young children or have other commitments.
Learning online with AFA
Having delivered our fitness courses online for more than 27 years, we’ve developed an industry-leading platform that will provide an engaging, informative and seamless learning experience.
With three online intake dates every month, you’ll be able to join at the next convenient date for you, allowing you to fit studies around your already busy schedule.
Once you’ve commenced your studies, we’ll provide you with an individualised Training Plan that you can use as a schedule to getting your course completed in the allocated 12 month timeframe per certificate.
The qualifications are self-paced, so if you want to finish it sooner you also have that option.
How is the course delivered?
Our course is designed to combine the best of digital learning with ‘hands on’ industry-based Practical Placement.
The interactive online learning is delivered through an extensive content library of videos, presentations, podcasts and slide shows. All of these are accessible from multiple devices, including:
- Tablet (iPad or Android)
- Custom-Built Mobile Phone App (iPhone or Android)
Once you’ve absorbed all the information for a set topic, you’ll be assessed via quizzes and extended answer questions at the end of each unit to demonstrate your theoretical knowledge.
Some of the more practical topics such as exercise program design, health and nutrition require you to also submit scenario-based assessments that replicate the programs you would provide to clients in an industry setting.
You’ll also complete a supervised work placement in an approved fitness facility located near you.
Practical Placement Program
You’ll be able to put all your theoretical knowledge into practice by undertaking our supervised Work Placement with a qualified Personal Trainer at your local gym.
There are 32 hours required for the Certificate III and 30 hours required for the Certificate IV, as well as a 50-hour professional practice logbook, in which you will have the opportunity to demonstrate and instruct exercise sessions to achieve real client goals.
You can choose to organise this within a facility and with a PT you have an existing relationship with, or we are more than happy to help match you with a fitness professional from our extensive network across Australia.
We have found that many of our students are offered a job with the fitness centre where they complete their placement, so this is a great pathway into the industry.
Plus, we’ll also provide you with your own AFA 2XU high-performance top (worth $80) so that you look the part during your Practical Placement.
Topics you'll cover
- Client Health Screening and Fitness Assessment
- Fitness Program Development and Instruction
- Client Motivation, Setting and Achieving Goals
- Nutritional Advice
- Exercise Science
- Movement Analysis and Exercise Technique
- Exercise Prescription including Functional Movement, Core Training, Strength and Conditioning
- Personal Training including One-on-One and Group Training
- Setting Up and Operating your own PT Business
To register and work within the fitness industry, you will need to obtain your First Aid qualification.
Otherwise, you can complete your First Aid qualification with any other approved provider and send through your Certificate for verification.
Enrolling into our online course is a simple and easy process:
- Participate in an informative chat with one of our Career Advisors so they can provide you with all the information you need to make an informed decision on whether this is the best course for you. They will clarify everything you need to know and answer any questions you have about the course, future employment and the fitness industry in general.
- Secure your spot on our next intake by processing a $100 deposit and submitting your enrolment forms.
- Once we’ve received everything from you, we’ll send you your unique log in details to our Learning Management System and you’ll have access on your start date.
- You’re then ready to start the course. You can check out all the features and make a start on the first module. In the meantime, we’ll invite you to an introductory webinar to clarify how it all works and one of our support team will contact you to welcome you to the course and answer any questions you might have.