Professional Development for HPE Teachers
Please note that we are not currently running any HPE courses.
HPE Teachers can fast track the Certificate III and IV in Fitness qualifications via Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL).
Teachers obtain RPL based on their previous degree qualifications and employment experience. Your study will be fast-tracked as you only need to complete specific components of each qualification to become a Gym Instructor and Personal Trainer.
AFA map the skills and knowledge of the PDHPE teachers to determine the RPL (Recognition of Prior Learning). The teachers are then exempted from components of the qualifications in which they are already competent.
By completing the remaining components of the Certificate III & IV in Fitness, teachers have the opportunity to:
- conduct personal training sessions as a part-time job – an excellent additional income stream.
- assist students and the wider school community to specifically meet their health and fitness goals.
Note that for NSW teachers the course has been accredited with NESA to contribute towards your professional development hours.
To receive exemptions from units in the SIS30315 Certificate III and SIS40215 Certificate IV in Fitness, you will be required to submit the following documents:
- Physical Education degree or equivalent qualification – copy of the academic transcript including the subjects completed and the subject outlines.
- Current first aid certificate – the likely unit code is ‘HLTAID003 Provide First Aid’.
- Position description from your school or letter from Principal or Department Manager (on school letterhead) confirming current teaching duties and other tasks associated with the role.
- Completed RPL application forms for both the Certificate III in Fitness and the Certificate IV in Fitness.
The Certificate III & IV in Fitness are completed by participation in online study, practical placement and associated assessments. If needed, students have up to 12 months to complete each qualification.
We have found that many schools are prepared to contribute to the course fees or pay them in full because the qualifications can significantly assist the wider school community.
Under those circumstances, we provide your school with an invoice to cover the course fees.
If you are paying the fees yourself, an instalment plan can be arranged whereby you pay a minimum deposit of $300, then weekly or fortnightly payments to cover the remaining balance.
Please note, any payments you make can be claimed as a tax deduction.
Please refer to the Student Handbook for the payment terms and conditions.
For more information on the HPE Teachers’ PD Course and to register your interest, please contact the Australian Fitness Academy on 1300 232 348.
Find out more about Australian Fitness Academy’s courses, policies, complaints & appeals processes by downloading the Student Handbook.