Return to Welcome Page
Take a sneak peak at what’s to come!
Here are some of the exciting topics you will be covering in order to qualify with Australian Fitness Academy and become a first class Fitness Professional.
- Client Services
- Exercise Science (including the systems of the body and the physiological responses to exercise)
- Movement Analysis
- Health Screening & Fitness Assessment
- Fitness Principles
- Exercise Program Design and Instruction
- Motivational Psychology
- Business Operations and Marketing
- Nutritional Advice for Weight Management
- Athlete Strength & Conditioning
- Personal Training including one-on-one and small group training
- Exercise Guidelines for Children and Adolescents, Older Adults and clients with special needs
- Functional Movement and Core Training, including:
Ready, Set, GROW!
At AFA we are very proud of the PT business support we offer while you are studying.
During you Certificate IV in Fitness study you will study Business & Marketing. For those of you who are looking to start up your own PT Business this topic will get the wheels in motion for you!
You will also have access to the Academy’s ‘Ready, Set, GROW!’ e-book which covers everything you need to know about setting up your own PT business!
If setting up your own business is not your thing then take full advantage of the Academy’s employment pathways and career opportunities!
We also guarantee you interviews with our corporate partners on completion of the course for the position of employed instructor, personal trainer or both! We are partners with Fitness First, Genesis, Goodlife Health Clubs, Fernwood Fitness, Anytime Fitness, Jetts, On Board Spa Cruise Ships, Executive Fitness Management, Personal Best, and many other private gyms.
Meet leading industry professionals at the AFA Networking Forum
Each year AFA holds the Annual Industry Careers & Networking Forum which presents a great opportunity for students and graduates to meet and greet industry leaders. Here’s some images from our most recent forum.
Here’s a further snapshot of some Industry Professional tips and advice to help you with seeking employment and working within the industry.
Ashley Myers – Has held various Recruitment positions within the industry across a range of facilities
- DO Continue learning and developing – don’t do the bare minimum of CEC’s
- DO Have a clear understanding of the job and requirements needed to build a client base
- DO Complete workouts in the gym prior to starting / interviewing so you know your way around the gym and the culture of the gym
- DON’T Attend an interview dressed unprofessionally (eg, t-shirt, jeans, hats)
- DON’T Think that everything will just fall in your lap and you will have clients by doing nothing – you get what you put in
- DON’T Think of Personal Training as a short term hobby (3-6 months), it is a long term career, you will build life-long relationships with clients and make life-changing transformations
Knockout Fitness & Boxing, Luke (2010 AFA Graduate of the Year)
DOs for business entrepreneurs:
- DO Have a detailed business plan and a vision
- DO Surround yourself with good/positive influences
- DO Give it everything, focus, and stay positive. There will be tough times, and you must be resilient.
DON’Ts for business entrepreneurs:
- DON’T Rush into decisions. Consider them carefully and if something doesn’t work, quickly scrap it and move onto the next idea.
- DON’T Think that designing fantastic business cards is all you need to do. Remember there’s always going to be a lot going on behind the scenes to make anything happen.
- DON’T Be complacent. You need to be highly motivated and complacency will = failure.
DOs for those looking for work:
- DO Be professional. Look the part and be professional about what you do.
- DO Be motivated. Coming out of your course is only the beginning – have that flame in your belly to learn more.
- DO Be personable. Your personality is key in this game so treat everyone equally and with respect.
DON’Ts for those looking for work:
- DON’T Think you know everything. You’ll be in for a shock!
- DON’T Be too choosy about where and when you work. You’ll need to start somewhere.
- DON’T Think you’re in for an easy ride. To be a ‘wanted’ trainer in your gym you’ll need to work hard to be your best.
Healthy Balance Fitness, Jodie (Winner of the Health & Fitness Industry Awards 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010)
- DO Act professionally at all times. Just because we work in sneakers doesn’t mean professionalism is compromised.
- DON’T assume you know it all immediately – learn from experienced trainers and make the most of their knowledge
Getting hands on
Throughout your study you will complete work experience placement. This placement is a fantastic opportunity to put all the theory you have learned into practice. Many of the Academy’s students gain long term employment directly from their work experience placement.
Completing work experience placement will ensure you qualify as a Fitness Professional who is ready to start working straight away!
It is recommended you start sourcing your placement when you first start studying. The Academy is here to help you gain placement should you need it and has a range of placement providers who are happy to receive placement applications. Please ask Student Support for this list if you do not already have a place arranged. Email [email protected].
If you are enrolled into the Certificate III & IV in Fitness with AFA, you can expect to qualify and register as a Gym Instructor, Personal Trainer, Children’s Trainer & Older Adults Trainer!
Return to Welcome Page