Visions Personal Training Opportunity
Is your style more about an independent community-orientated gym and less about the big commercial chains?
Looking for part time work in a friendly environment with the potential to grow your personal training base?
Then Visions is your jam!
About your role:
You’ll have the opportunity to work 10-20 hours per week, consisting of shift work (usually 4-5 hour shift) and group training classes.
We also have a number of members requesting personal training, so there is also juicy potential to grow a PT base, particularly as you become a regular face around the gym. We regularly receive PT enquiries, especially for staff who are engaging and have a positive presence around the place.
There is room to grow at Visions, in various ways, and we will strive to help you develop your skills and pursue your goals in the industry.
When on shift, you effectively manage the gym. Your priorities are:
- Be a regular presence around the gym, chatting to members and making them feel comfortable and not just a number.
- Take carefully tailored and well-thought out programs, sharing your passion for fitness and unlocking the ways in which different personalities can find a similar love for exercise.
- Welcome new faces, show people around and assist them to find the right way forward at Visions.
- Various admin tasks which will require initiative, attention to detail and a general competence with Microsoft Office, database administration and other software.
- Gym upkeep and cleaning – yes, my gosh we said it. You’ll have to be prepared to pick up a mop, a vacuum and tidy the gym. We take pride in our space, and whilst you’re on shift, the space is yours to manage – and keep clean.
We’re looking for someone who:
- Is approachable, friendly and engaging. You’re going to have to love a chinwag.
- Naturally exudes energy and enthusiasm with an ability to harness that to different audiences and in different settings.
- Values and exemplifies all elements of fitness – strength, endurance, mobility and enjoyment.
- Adaptable to take on flexible hours.
- A desire to continue learning and developing your industry skills
- Is qualified with Cert III and IV.
- Is first aid and CPR certified and can has or can obtain a Working with Children Check.
- 1+ years experience in workout programming and taking classes is desirable but not necessary
We are one of Melbourne’s longest running gyms, open since 1984, based in the heart of Hawthorn. What does that mean? We know the industry and we know what works. We’re agile and adaptable and have remained successful in an ever-changing industry. We have a history and a soul. We’re not another franchise gym hell-bent on sales and growth and passing through as another trend. People come to Visions, connect with it and stay. We’re less about trends, platitudes or crazy-eyed-fitness-intensity and more about long-term attitudes to health and cultivating a positive environment free of judgment.
Our priorities are around creating a friendly, buzzing atmosphere where EVERYONE feels comfortable and motivated to train. We’ve cultivated a unique environment in the fitness industry – one which isn’t intimidating. Our customers are normal people who train to feel good and live healthy lives, ranging from complete newbies to Olympic athletes. The fact they happily train side-by-side is a testament to our approach.
About our team:
You’re joining a tight team of only half a dozen. We come from different backgrounds and experiences but share the important core values of helping people feel great and live happy. And we love Visions. Gosh, we love Visions.
The priority of our team is to provide an enjoyable and safe place for our community to train and, where necessary, guide them along that journey with our expertise and experience. This guidance sometimes means shaking out the stereotypes and the misconceptions about the industry, ensuring that members focus on the quality of their exercise, not the numbers. We make sure their priorities are about the positive benefits exercise can achieve for their body and their mind, as opposed to responding to their guilt and obligations.
Sound like somewhere you’d flourish?
PLEASE READ BELOW – APPLICATIONS THAT DO NOT ADDRESS THE QUESTIONS WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED
Submit your cover letter and resume along with an answer to any two of the questions below (in 100 words or less per question).
- Someone arrives at the gym for a program with you. They tell you they don’t really like gyms but they have been told by a medical professional they need to lose 10kg. How would you respond to this person and what are the initial things you would raise with them about their future training?
- Someone arrives at the gym for a program with you. They tell you they haven’t used a gym before but they want to bulk up and would like a 5 day-split program for different body parts. How would you respond to this person and what are the initial things you would raise with them about their future training?
- Aside from ensuring the gym is safe for members, what do you think is the core role a trainer must perform when on shift at a gym like Visions?
Please send your application to [email protected]