Study a personal training online course, at your own pace, in your own home!
By using our personal training online study platform, you can make the leap into a new career go more smoothly.
An online personal training course is perfect for you if you:
- Work full time or work irregular hours.
- Cannot or do not want to commit to study with set dates and times.
- Cannot attend a classroom to learn face-to-face.
- Are looking after young children or have other commitments.
- Simply want the flexibility to learn at your own pace.
Why study Personal Training online with the AFA?
We are the largest online fitness course provider in Australia, and have been delivering courses for over 23 years.
You can commence study whenever it suits you.
Our course resources are designed specifically for online study. They are engaging and interactive and can be accessed from computers, laptops and portable IT devices. We even have podcasts of all the topics so that you can listen on your way to work, or when you’re in the gym.
You will receive full support throughout the course and can ask our full-time tutors questions at any time, via phone, email or even using webcam. We have a team of assessors and tutors fully qualified and experienced in fitness services, available to help you throughout your course.
How is an Personal Training Online Course delivered?
Studying online enables you to cover the theory topics at your own pace with as much support as you need. There are different types of resources to suit your learning style. The practical components are covered via a combination of online delivery and supervised placement in a fitness facility.
How our PT course online is delivered:
- Content is hosted on an advanced learning platform, including slides, presentations, videos, podcasts and manuals.
- Quizzes are included at the end of each topic to test your knowledge.
- Scenario based assessments are submitted online in your own time to evaluate your knowledge of practical topics including exercise program design, health and nutrition.
- Practical hours (32 for Cert III and 30 for Cert IV) are conducted with a qualified PT at a local gym to assess your skills in instructing exercise sessions to achieve a variety of client goals.
- You can choose your own facility for the placement or we can match you up with one from our extensive national database.
- You will receive an AFA 2XU high performance top (worth $80) to wear throughout your practical placement.
- Certificates are delivered to you once you have passed all assessments.
Our online course gives you up to 12 months to complete your Cert III in Fitness and an additional 12 months for Cert IV in Fitness. The course will commence whenever it suits you—the bonus of flexible study.
You will have access to all online course materials and our student support services from the commencement of the course, to enable you to work at your own pace.
Point of reassurance: If you require extra time to complete your Certificate, we provide a 3 month extension to students for added convenience. There is an additional administrative fee for extensions—contact us to discuss.
Online Course Process
Once you have filled out the enrolment information and paid the initial deposit, you will receive an email and SMS confirming your enrolment. This email and SMS will also contain your login details for our Learner Management System.
The Learner Management System is our online learning portal where you will have access to all coursework, assessments, quizzes and student support. We’ll provide you with a schedule to help you plan your study time. However this is only for reference, as there are no set dates in which modules need to be completed—it is entirely up to you how you approach your study. We would also recommend you book in to our introductory webinar to meet our student support team and network with other students also commencing their course.
Note: be sure to keep your login details in a safe place!
As a part of your course requirements, students must complete:
- 32 hours of practical placement for the Cert III in Fitness
- 30 hours of practical placement for the Cert IV in Fitness
- 50 hour professional practice logbook for Cert IV in Fitness
You can perform your placement at any accredited local gym, fitness centre or Personal Training Studio. You can check with us if you’re unsure on this. Most students choose one that is most convenient for them to get to on a regular basis. If you have any difficulties finding and securing a placement, we can use our industry partnerships to help set you up with one. We are here to help you if required.
The benefits of completing practical placements in a real facility are that you get access to real clients and are supervised by someone who is already working as a personal trainer. We have also found that many of our students are actually offered a job with the fitness centre where they complete their placement.
- Client Health Screening and Fitness Assessment
- Fitness Program Development and Instruction
- Client Motivation, Setting and Achieving Goals
- Nutritional Advice
- Exercise Science
- Movement Analysis and Exercise Technique
- Exercise Prescription including; Functional Movement, Core Training, Strength and Conditioning
- Personal Training including; One-on-One and Group Training
- Setting Up and Operating your own PT Business
To register and work within the fitness industry, you will also need to obtain your First Aid qualification. Australian Fitness Academy offers HLTAID003 Apply First Aid. Please contact us for more information.
Australian Fitness Academy is approved to deliver government subsidised training in Queensland via the Queensland Certificate III Guarantee. Government funded and subsidised courses are available face to face and online. More information on eligibility requirements can be found here.
If you have qualifications or work experience that are covered within the Cert III & IV in Fitness, our RPL process offers you a potentially quicker way to obtain your Certificate III and IV in Fitness qualifications. Upon review of an RPL application, prospective students will be informed as to which modules (if any) they need to complete in order to obtain their qualifications.
Download the Certificate III in Fitness RPL Application Kit here
Download the Certificate IV in Fitness RPL Application Kit here
You can find out more about the courses, policies, complaints & appeals processes Australian Fitness Academy offer by downloading the Student Handbook. To register your interest in any future courses please call Australian Fitness Academy on 1300 232 348 or contact us.
NB: The Certificate III & IV in Fitness (SIS30313 & SIS40210) has been superseded by newer qualifications, SIS30315 & SIS40215.
Australian Fitness Academy is one of the first major fitness course providers to deliver the most up to date qualifications!
“I would really like to thank you all for a wonderful job you have done in assisting me over the last 12 months to complete certificate 3 and 4. Without the ongoing support, online students would not be able to achieve a qualification in this field of work. Due to the commitment you all put in, it has enabled me to be employed at our local gym and assist in the training of our local rugby league team for next year’s competition. This has given me a great opportunity to work with a sporting group, and hopefully throughout the journey towards the new season experience their progress and know that I have helped them achieve their goals for the new season.”